We had many exciting events happen at HF over the past two weeks. Harborfields High School played host to our annual Jacob Neumann Flag Football Tournament. This Harborfields tradition attracts large crowds each year including students, staff, alumni and community members. Proceeds from the tournament fund the Jacob Neumann Memorial Scholarship in recognition of Jacob’s significant contribution to the Harborfields community. It was great seeing so many alumni come back home and support their high school!
Earlier in November, areas of the Philippines were devastated by Typhoon Haiyan.
Many Harborfields students immediately mobilized to help by fundraising for relief efforts.
I am pleased to share that our Global Justice Club
, advised by Ms. DaSilva, and our Italian Club
, advised by Dr. Butler, raised a significant amount of money through various fundraising activities.
We should be proud of our students who so willingly gave of their time to help those in need a half a world away.
Our students’ passion for helping others knows no borders.
1st Quarter Honor Roll:
Congratulations to all of our students that made Honor Roll for the 1st quarter! Let's congratulate them on their hard work and dedication. Click here
for a complete list.
All-State Performances: Congratulations to Kate Burns, Nina Lesser, Alexa Overeem, and Sierra Weiner who represented Harborfields at the NY State Swimming Championship Meet last week. Each of the girls performed superbly and earned All-State recognition for their efforts!
Model UN Winners: Congratulations to Ryan Lanner, James Tully and Yusef Ahmad who all earned awards as Outstanding Delegates at the Model UN conference held at Commack High School last weekend.
“Thanksgiving Basket” Deliveries: Members of the Harborfields National Honor Society and Environmental Club were on hand at the Old First Church Thanksgiving Basket Delivery Day to help with putting together food to be delivered to needy families. In all, 128 needy families from our area were provided with a week’s worth of groceries and Thanksgiving turkeys. Harborfields High English teacher and Environmental Club advisor, Mr. Flynn, participated along with his own family to lend a helping hand.
Members of the Harborfields Outreach Club assembled 85
Thanksgiving baskets at the high school the Friday before Thanksgiving.
These baskets contained enough groceries for the month and full fixings
for a Thanksgiving dinner. The Greenlawn Fire Department donated a 12lb turkey to each family that went along with the baskets. The class of 1983 alumni donated baked goods from White Post Farms. Members of the Habitat for Humanity club also donated baked goods. Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts and TJL contributed food to help fill each basket . The baskets were delivered Saturday morning by HF alumni. This is an example of HF Family coming together for the holidays. It truly does take a village.
Key Club Serves Thanksgiving Meals: On November 23rd members of the Harborfields Key Club helped the Huntington Kiwanis and YMCA pack and deliver 60 Thanksgiving baskets for some of Huntington's neediest children and families. The YMCA conducts a food drive and Kiwanis provides produce and dairy items. The Town of Huntington Department of Human Services donates a turkey for each family. The combined goal is to provide a week of food for the families, including a complete Thanksgiving dinner. This is the second year that the Harborfields Key Club participated in this annual event.
6th Annual Shakespeare Recitation: Over the last two months AP Literature & Composition students studied, memorized, and performed sonnets and monologues by William Shakespeare. The top five students from each section moved on to the 6th Annual Shakespeare Recitation finals which were held Tuesday, November 26th in the auditorium. The participants were:
To determine the top two performers, the scores of the three faculty judges were combined with audience/peer ballots. The top two performers were recognized and received certificates from The National Endowment for the Arts. Congratulations to the 2013/ 2014 Shakespeare Recitation Contest winners, Matthew Gallanty and Miranda Abbott.
“What Makes Me Smile” Contest: Congratulations to Alexa Forberg on winning the “What Makes Me Smile” Art Contest. You can read more about her achievement by clicking here.
The HHS PTSA Presents “Parents Night Out”: Our PTSA is organizing a babysitting service for children grades K-5 on Friday, December 6th. Visit http://www.harborfieldspta.org/index.php/hhs-ptsa for more information. While you are there, please consider joining our PTSA online!
Random Acts of Kindness: We are pleased to share that Jordan Acritani, Kayria Ahmad, Connor Bennardo, Madison Lauber, and Andrew Schmidke were awarded a Random Acts of Kindness Award for being kind when they thought nobody was looking.
2013 Fall Athletic Awards and Recognitions
from Mr. Valente, Director of Athletics
The Department of Athletics takes great pride in recognizing the following accomplished student athletes for their individual talents and contributions in their respective fall sports. In true Tornado fashion and spirit, they, along with their dedicated coaches, have made us all proud!
Abreu, Chelsea- All Division- Field Hockey
Banks, Chandler- All County Honorable Mention- Field Hockey
Barnes, Ben- All League- Boys Soccer
Bautista, Samantha- Coaches Award- Girls Cross Country
Benson, Michaelyn- All Conference-All Academic- Girls Soccer
Bifulco, Nicole- Coaches Award- Field Hockey
Bocchicchio, Troy- 2nd team All Division- Academic All Division-Football
Burns, Kate- All League-All County-Girls Swimming
Damm, Nicole- Team MVP- Field Hockey
Davis, Erin- All League- Gymnastics
DeLuca, Olivia- Coaches Award- Girls Soccer
Espinoza, Gabbi- All Academic- Girls Soccer
Ferrara, Noelle- All Academic- Girls Soccer
Frangione, Natalie- All League- Gymnastics
Friedman, Julia- All Conference- All Academic- Girls Soccer
Friedman, Julia- Coaches Award- Girls Soccer
Gary, Elizabeth-Coaches Award-All League-Girls Volleyball
Gaye, Kerry- All League- Girls Cross Country
Giusto, Lian- All County- All State- Team MVP- Gymnastics
Godfrey, Patrick-2nd team All Division-Academic All Division-Football
Goetz, Alexa- All County- Team MVP-All League- All Division- Girls Tennis
Gray, Samantha- All Conference- Field Hockey
Griskie,Kaylee-Coaches Award-Girls Swimming
Grossman, Jamie- Team MVP-All County- All Division- All League- NYS Qualifier- Girls Cross Country
Hahm, Emily- All Conference-All County Academic- Girls Soccer
Hawkins, Jackie- All Academic- Girls Soccer
Howard, Grace- All League- Girls Swimming
Johnson, Caroline- All League- Girls Tennis
Johnson, Kristen- All League- Girls Tennis
Johnson, Lauren-All County- All Academic- Girls Soccer
Kelly, Kristen- All League- Girls Tennis
Khajooei, Kian- All Conference- Boys Soccer
Lee, Iman- All League- Coaches Award- Gymnastics
Lesser, Nina-All County- Girls Swimming
Maher, Collin- Blue Collar Award- Boys Soccer
Maimone, Claudia- All County- Field Hockey
Mallia, Lucas- Team MVP- All Conference- Boys Soccer
Marino, Alana- All League- Girls Tennis
Martin, Steven- 2nd team All Division-Academic All Division- Football
Martino, Mike- All Conference- Boys Soccer
McDonagh, Mike- All County Academic- Boys Soccer
Moller, Billy- All Division- Academic All Division
Morrow, Tanner- 2nd team All Division-Academic All Division- Football
Overeem, Alexa- All League-All County- Girls Swimming
Phillips, Jessica-Team MVP-All League-Girls Volleyball
Pulvidente, Connor- Team MVP- All County- All Division- All League- NYS Qualifier- Boys Cross Country
Quinn, Liam-All League- Boys Cross County
Rappa, Alec- Team MVP-All County- All Division- Academic All Division-Football
Reynolds, Kerryann-All League-All County- Girls Swimming
Saros, Caroline- All County Honorable Mention- All Conference-All Division-Field Hockey
Seiden, Molly- Coaches Award-All League- Girls Tennis
Shea, Kathleen- All League- Girls Cross Country
Smith, Derek, All League- Boys Cross Country
Spencer, Hannah-All League- Girls Swimming
Taratko, Ryan- All League- Boys Soccer
Tetlak, Samantha- All League- Girls Swimming
Velasco, Jorge- Coaches Award- Boys Soccer
Veleno, Sara- All League- Gymnastics
Wallace, Caroline-All County- Girls Soccer
Ward, Billy- Coaches Award- Boys Cross Country
Wax, Abigail- All League- Girls Cross Country
Weiner, Sierra-Team MVP-All League-All County-Girls Swimming
Weiner, Jade- All League- Girls Swimming
Widmer, Andrew- Coaches Award- 2nd team All Division-Academic All Division-Football
Wilson, Jack- All League- Boys Cross Country
Scholar Athlete Teams:
Boys Cross Country
Girls Cross Country
** For the 10th consecutive year, ALL of our fall varsity teams have been designated as ‘Scholar Athlete Team’. Congratulations! **
- Congratulations to the Junior Varsity Boys Soccer team who went undefeated this season
- The Boys Cross Country team went undefeated and won the league V championship for the 7th straight year, 6 of those being undefeated.
- Connor Pulvidente and Jamie Grossman represented Harborfields HS and Section XI as they competed in the New York State Championship Cross Country Meet.Both ran extremely well in a very competitive field and a challenging course.
- In Girl’s Swimming, the team won their second consecutive league championship and finished in third place overall in all of Suffolk County- Individually, Congratulations to Nina Lesser who earned the title of Suffolk County Champion by winning the 50-yard freestyle and qualifying for the NYS Championships.Also qualifying for the State meet was Sierra Weiner in the 200 IM.Sierra is also joined by Nina, Kate Burns and Alexa Overeem in qualifying for States as part of the Medley Relay.The four girls each earned All-State recognition for their performances.
- In girls’ gymnastics, we congratulate senior Lian Giusto who qualified for the NY State Championship meet on March 1st for floor exercise.
- The girls tennis team advanced to the Section XI team tournament for the fifth year of the Suffolk Team tournament.
- The girls soccer advanced to the Class A championship where hosted and then beat Miller Place in the first round advancing to the semi-finals of the tournament- congratulations on a successful season!
- The boys’ soccer team made the playoffs in dramatic fashion by upsetting highly ranked Comsewogue in their final contest of the year. Although many may have thought this team was done for the year, they proved otherwise with tenacious play and the right to compete in the Class A playoff tournament. Congratulations boys’ soccer!
- Congratulations to Cross Country Coach Tim Russo who was named League V Coach of the Year
- Congratulations to Field Hockey Coach Lauren Desiderio who was named League Coach of the Year
- Congratulations to Junior Varsity Girls’ Volleyball Coach Danielle Groneman who was named JV League Coach of the Year
Giving back to great causes…HF PRIDE at its best!
- Girls Gymnastics- participated in Jones Beach Breast Cancer Walk & Think Pink Meet supporting a teammate’s mom’s journey battling Breast Cancer.
- Varsity and JV field hockey together raised over $2000 for breast cancer research in the month of October! The teams hosted a ‘Play for the Cure’ Game on October 8- recognizing breast cancer awareness month. The girls also raised money by participating in “Corners for the Cause"- an on going event throughout the month of October in which players raised money every time HF was awarded an offensive corner.
- The varsity and JV girls’ soccer teams both played in Kicks for Cancer games and raised almost $2200 for the Kicks for Cancer program. The team raised the third highest amount in Suffolk County this year!!